AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/3420
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1760-1951
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.16 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Morgan Crucible Co Ltd | crucible and foundry manufacturers
Alexander Duckham & Co Ltd | lubricant manufacturers


Administrative/Biographical history:

Morgan Crucible was originally called the "Patent Plumbago Crucible Company". It was founded in 1856 selling imported crucibles. The company later began to manufacture crucibles and other foundry products from their factory in Battersea. It continues to produce technical and insulating ceramics and carbon for various industries.

A 'mealman' is a person who deals in flour.

Alexander Duckham and Co Ltd were lubricant manufacturers of 346 Kensington High Street.

A 'colour-man' was a dealer in paints or 'colours'.

Sir Matthew Blakiston, 1st Baronet (c. 1702 - 14 July 1774) was a merchant and grocer. He was an Alderman of London from 1750 to 1769, was elected Sheriff of London in 1754 and became the 442nd Lord Mayor of London in 1761. Blakiston married firstly Margaret Hall, daughter of Reverend Charles Hall. His second wife Mary Blew died in 1754 and Blakiston married thirdly Annabella Bayley, daughter of Thomas Bayley, MP, on 8 April 1760. He had a son by his first wife and two sons by his third wife. He was succeeded in the baronetcy by his second and only surving son Matthew

Bell's Match Factory was situated in Bromley-by-Bow. It was founded in 1832 by Richard Bell, and was the first match factory in Britain. It later merged with Bryant and May.


Scope and content/abstract:

London related material from the Bryson Collection of Business Archives and Ephemera, 1760-1951:

* Records of Morgan Crucible Co Ltd comprising working instructions for Morgan's Coke Fired Tilting Furnace type "CCA" 400 lbs capacity, with drawings of furnace, 1942.
* Lease for 18 years from William Scott to Walker Norwood, mealman, of Twelve Acre Close (now 2 closes) in Hampton Wick, endorsed with agreement to let barn and rickyard, 1782 Mar - 1784 Apr.
* Duckham's Digest "Links", Vol X, No 2, published by Alexander Duckham and Co Ltd, with Festival of Britain guide, 1951.
* Probate copy of will of Samuel Myers of Golden Lane, colourman, proved in Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1777 Aug.
* Marriage settlement between Sir Matthew Blakiston and Annabella Bayly relating to mansion at East Hill and other houses and lands in Wandsworth and Battersea, 1760 Mar.
* Deed poll by Charles Robert Edward Bell, match manufacturer of Albert House, Wandsworth, changing his surname from Grubb to Bell, with extract from The Times attached, 1880 Dec.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

This deposit has been arranged alphabetically by area: Battersea, Hampton, Kensington, St. Luke Old Street, Wandsworth.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

This deposit is part of the collection of business records acquired between the 1950s and the 1970s by Mr. Joe Bryson of Merseyside. In 1977 Mr. Bryson sold his collection of business records to Merseyside County Museums. In 1986 the status of Merseyside County Museums underwent a redesignation, and the service became the National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside. The Archives Department of this body has endeavoured to sort and list the Bryson collection, distributing non-Merseyside material to other record offices. These other record offices have, in turn, the authority to forward items to a more suitable repository, if closer examination of received material suggests such a course of action. Two documents {ACC/3420/002 and ACC/3420/006} were transferred to London Metropolitan Archives by Surrey Record Office in August 1994. The other six items now held at LMA were retained from a consignment of five boxes received from Merseyside, and LMA has itself redirected parts of the Bryson collection to London Borough archive departments, to Yorkshire, Staffordshire and back to Merseyside Museums and Galleries.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in 1994 (ACC/3584; ACC/3420).

Allied Materials

Related material:

Items from the Bryson Collection may be found in repositories accross the country. For further information on the whereabouts of the Bryson Collection, please contact the Archives Department, National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"