AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

BRISTOW, COOKE AND CARPMAEL {SOLICITORS}

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0224
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: BRISTOW, COOKE AND CARPMAEL {SOLICITORS}
Date(s): 1800-1895
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.16 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Bristow, Cooke and Carpmael | solicitors

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The manor of 'Stebunheath alias Stepney' devolved from the bishop of London's Domesday manor or vill of Stepney. The Domesday manor was assessed at 32 hides and included most of Stepney parish as constituted in the 13th century, Hackney, a small part of Shoreditch, and large parts of Islington, Hornsey, and Clerkenwell; the 14 hides held in demesne later formed the demesnes of Stepney, Hackney, Harringay, Muswell, and possibly Brownswood manors.

The bishops held Stepney until 1550; when Nicholas Ridley surrendered the manors of Stepney and Hackney to the king, who immediately granted them to the Lord Chamberlain Sir Thomas Wentworth, Baron Wentworth (d. 1551). The grant included the marshes of Stepney, waters, fishing, wastes, mills, and the liberties, including free warren and view of frankpledge, that the bishops had enjoyed.

The manor subsequently changed hands several times until 1926 when the remaining copyholds were converted into freeholds under the Law of Property Act, 1922. They remained subject to such manorial incidents as quitrents, fines on change of ownership, and the lord's right to timber, until 1 January 1936.

From: 'Stepney: Manors and Estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 19-52 (available online).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Documents acquired by the solicitors in the course of their work, including copies of court rolls for the manor of 'Stebunheath alias Stepney', 1800-1811; particulars and conditions of sale for various premises in Ashford and Stanwell, Paddington, Rotherhithe, Deptford, Whitechapel, Saint George's-in-the-East, Wapping, Hampstead, Westminster, and Feltham, 1855-1895; and abstract of title for property in Ealing, 1870 [abstract of title: a summary of prior ownership drawn up by solicitors showing how title to the land devolved to the party currently possessing it].

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

ACC/0224/001- ACC/0224/018; arranged by location.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1945 (Acc/0224).

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING