AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

FRERE CHOLMELEY {SOLICITORS}

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0258
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/lma ›
Full title: FRERE CHOLMELEY {SOLICITORS}
Date(s): 1629-1790
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Frere Cholmeley | solicitors

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Ossulston hundred included areas around Kensington, Holborn, Finsbury, Tower Hamlets and Westminster. It is remembered partly because it gave its name to the barony of Ossulston conferred upon John Bennet in 1682. John was the brother of Henry Bennet, earl of Arlington (d. 1686), a close advisor to the monarchy, who built Ossulston House, formerly nos. 1 and 2 St. James's Square and afterwards demolished. The barony was absorbed into the earldom of Tankerville in 1714.

The manor of Ealing or Ealingbury was presumably the 10 hides at Ealing granted in 693 by Ethelred, king of Mercia, to the bishop of London for the augmentation of monastic life in London. The manor passed through various owners until 1906 when most or all of the land was sold to the Prudential Assurance Company.

The manor of Durants (or Durance) and the manor of Garton were originally separate holdings which were joined together. They belonged to the Wroth family and their decendants, and included twenty houses, twenty tofts, two mills, ten gardens, three hundred acres of arable, two hundred acres of meadow, forty acres of pasture, and ten acres of wood.

Sources: "A History of the County of Middlesex": Volume 7 (1982) and "The Environs of London": volume 2: County of Middlesex (1795); both available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Papers collected by the solicitors in the course of their work, including bond for 120 from Nathaniel Fox of Hoxton, starch maker, to Robert Jenner, citizen and goldsmith, of Foster Lane, London, 1629; copy of Court Roll, Manor of Ealing, relating to cottage with orchard called "The Rose", 1668; copy of will, dated 9 Oct 1694, and codicil, dated 28 Nov 1694, of John, Lord Ossulstone; indenture of fine for the manor of Durants alias Gartons in Enfield, 1723; indenture of fine for land in London field, Hackney, 1739; indenture of fine for land in Finchley, 1790.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

7 items arranged chronologically.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1947 (Acc/0258).

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING