AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

DRUCES AND ATTLEE {SOLICITORS}

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0140
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: DRUCES AND ATTLEE {SOLICITORS}
Date(s): 1739-1883
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.08 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Druces and Attlee | solicitors

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

According to a charter forged about 1100, 8 manse at Hanwell were granted to Westminster Abbey by Archbishop Dunstan in the 10th century. Hanwell was reckoned as an independent manor in Domesday Book, but after this, apparently before the 13th century, it became absorbed in the neighbouring manor of Greenford, which also belonged to Westminster. The first court rolls, which survive from the early 16th century, show that Hanwell was then a subsidiary hamlet of Greenford; from the middle of the century the manor was generally called 'Greenford and Hanwell', and lands in Hanwell were described indifferently as held of Greenford manor or Hanwell manor. By the late 18th century, though the courts were still held together, the two manors seem to have been regarded as separate entities. Most of the extensive copyhold land in Hanwell seems to have been enfranchised during the 19th century and the manorial courts were discontinued about 1900.

New Brentford is not mentioned in Domesday Book and seems, under the name of Boston ('Bordwattestun'), to have belonged to the abbey in 1157, so that it is likely to have been included in Hanwell at the time when Westminster Abbey acquired the manor. Westminster continued to have some rights in New Brentford until the monastery was suppressed, but by the later 12th century a separate estate had appeared in the town, which later became known as the manor of Boston. The boundary between Hanwell and Boston manors probably became established at the same time. Apart from this, the boundaries of Hanwell manor, or of the part of Greenford manor in Hanwell, seem to have coincided with those of the parish.

The leases of the demesnes of Greenford manor which were made from the late 15th century onwards included a certain amount of land in Hanwell, though there seems to be no truth in the suggestion of Sir Montagu Sharpe that Hanwell Park, which was in fact copyhold, was ever the residence of the lessees of the manor. The manor passed in the 16th century to the Bishop of London and in 1649 his lessee was estimated to hold 95 acres in the parish. When the manorial estates were divided into two unequal parts in the 18th century, the Hanwell lands all formed part of the larger share. At the inclosure of 1816, the bishop and his lessee were allotted 26 acres for open-field land and common rights, and also held about 75 acres of old inclosed land. Most of this (48 acres) seems to be identical with the former demesne woodland of Covent Park and lay in the detached part of Hanwell parish near Twyford. The bishop was also allotted 5 acres in respect of his rights over the waste as lord of the manor. Most of these lands, like the manorial estates in Greenford to which they were attached, were sold by the Church Commissioners after the Second World War.

There were four manors in Tottenham, which were combined in 1427. In 1626 the manors passed to Hugh Hare, Lord Coleraine, whose family held the manor until 1749. The grounds of the manor house, Bruce Castle, became a public park in 1892.

Ponders End was a hamlet close to Enfield. It was known for its fisheries.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex (available online).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Legal documents, acquired by the solicitor's office in the course of their work, relating to the manor of Hanwell, 1739-1869, including deeds and copies of deeds, extracts from court rolls, and mortgage agreements; copies of wills and administrations, mainly for residents of Hanwell; copies of land tax redemption certificates for land in Hanwell; copies of orders in Chancery relating to Hanwell.

Also papers relating to the Coleraine Park Estate, Tottenham, 1880-1883 and Ponders End, Enfield, 1861-1873.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

In sections: ACC/0140/001-045: Hanwell; ACC/0140/046-053: Tottenham and ACC/0140/054-058: Enfield.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1940 (Acc/0140).

Allied Materials

Related material:

For more records relating to the manor of Hanwell see ACC/0513 and for local government in Hanwell see ACC/0339 and LMA/4034. Further records from Druces and Attlee can be found at references ACC/0163 and ACC/0164.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July to October 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING