AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4453/T
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1919-1962
Level of description: Collection
View parent record
Extent: 0.63 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Railway Tavern Co Ltd | public house management company


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Railway Tavern, located in Liverpool Street, near the train station, was owned originally by the Metropolitan Railway Company and was leased by the Company in 1907 to Thomas Read Hull for the term of 99 years.

The company of Hull and Venner Limited was formed in 1919 as a joint venture between James Henry Hull and the Forest Hill Brewery Company and the former agreed to leased the the Railway Tavern to Hull and Venner Limited for a period of 21 years. However, by 1922 it had been agreed that Hull and Venner Limited would take over the lease, compensating J.H. Hull accordingly, and in 1922 a special resolution was passed to increase the capital of the company to 25,000 which was divided into ordinary shares of 1 each. These were divided amongst the interested parties. The directors of the new company were Edwin John Venner and with James Henry Hull.

Whitbread gained an interest of 5,000 shares in The Railway Tavern through its takeover of the Forest Hill Brewery Company which became Whitbread Properties Limited. Whitbread bought out the rest of the Company in 1936 and then sold half of the shares to Bass Ratcliff & Gretton Limited in December of the same year.

In April 1937, it was agreed to change the name of the Company from Hull and Venner Limited to The Railway Tavern Company which was then brought under the auspices of Whitbread's Improved Public House Company Limited. John Edmund Martineau, John Stewart Eagles and Charles James Theobalds replaced James Hull and Edwin Venner as directors of the company although Martineau relinquished his post during the War and was replaced by Gilbert Keith Dunning.

The Railway Tavern was refitted in 2005.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Railway Tavern Company Limited, including corporate minutes and correspondence, accounts and property files consisting of title deeds, mortgages and papers relating to stocks and bonds.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

LMA/4453/T/01: Minutes and correspondence;
LMA/4453/T/02: Accounts;
LMA/4453/T/03: Alterations to property;
LMA/4453/T/04: Deeds;
LMA/4453/T/05: Stocks and shares.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the Corporation of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 2001 as a gift.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also LMA/4453/M (Forest Hill Brewery Company) and LMA/4453/N (Improved Public House Company Ltd).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
November 2009 to February 2010

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"