AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/101
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1750-1993
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.77 linear metres (256 documents).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Peter, Ealing | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1882, the temporary iron church of St Andrew was erected in Mount Park Road in the northern part of the parish of Christ Church, Ealing. The priest-in-charge was William Petty, curate of Christ Church. In 1889, the dedication was changed to St Peter, in order to avoid confusion with the nearby newly built Presbyterian church of St. Andrew. Due to the increasing population of the area, a larger, permanent church was soon needed and in 1891 the building of the present church, designed by John Dando Sedding, was begun on land adjoining the temporary church site. The church was consecrated by the bishop of London, 15th July 1893, and the formation of the new parish was ratified by Order in Council, 27th July 1894. William Petty was instituted to the living, 25th November 1894. After building, considerable improvements were made to the church, most notably with the building of the organ in 1894 and the addition of the lady chapel in 1913. In 1956, following a fire, the sanctuary was restored. Certain features of Sedding's original design, however, in particular a tower and spire on the North transept, were never executed due to lack of money. The vicarage was built in 1910 and the parish hall in Hillcroft Crescent in 1923. The Hillcroft Crescent site was subsequently sold and a new church centre built, 1977-80. In 1988, St Barnabas, St. Peter, St. Stephen, Ealing Group Ministry was formed.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Peter, Ealing, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and church services; papers of the incumbent relating to the work of the clergy; papers regarding church personnel; parish boundaries; papers regarding the construction and maintenance of church buildings and the churchyard; churchwardens' papers; records relating to parish administration and finance, charities, societies and clubs; and printed material.

The collection includes four items relating to the temporary iron church: a baptism register, 1882-93 (DRO/101/1), a preacher's book, 1882-93 (DRO/101/16), vestry minutes, 1882-93 (DRO/101/134) and churchwardens' accounts, 1889-93 (DRO/101/131). The rest, and bulk of the collection, relates to the permanent church of St. Peter. Of particular note are three scrapbooks (DRO/101/249-251), compiled by the parish after 1989, of various important items relating to the history of the parish.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

DRO/101/001-038: Parish Registers; DRO/101/039-267: Other Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in December 1994; with a further accession in February 2003.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"