AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY, ACTON: ACTON TOWN CENTRE, EALING

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/052
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY, ACTON: ACTON TOWN CENTRE, EALING
Date(s): 1539-1999
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 8.43 linear metres (359 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Acton | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

A church dedicated to St Mary is known to have been in existence by 1231 when Walter, Rector of Acton is recorded as holding property from Peter Fitz Alulf. The original building, excluding the tower, was demolished in 1865 because it could seat only 500 and was considered unworthy in style. It was replaced by a red brick church with stone dressings designed by H. Francis,and in 1876 the tower was also rebuilt. In 1906 the vestry was extended over part of the churchyard. The rapid increase in population after 1860 not only led to the rebuilding of St Mary's church but also to the creation of separate parishes for South Acton, 1873, East Acton, 1880 and Acton Green,1888, followed by the formation of the districts of West Acton, 1907, Acton Vale, 1915 and North Acton, 1930. In addition, a mission church, dedicated to St. Andrew, was set up in Salisbury Street.

Source of information: 'Acton: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 35-39. Available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Acton, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage, and church services; preachers' books; papers relating to tithes; papers relating to the maintenance of church buildings and the churchyard; Churchwardens' financial accounts; Parochial Church Council minutes and financial accounts; Vestry minutes; Overseers of the Poor financial accounts; parochial reports; papers regarding parish charities including almshouses; parish magazines; press cuttings; and orders of services.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series: Parish Records (DRO/052/001 - DRO/052/370).

Conditions governing access:

Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in mutliple accessions between 1983 and 2004.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING