AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P76/LUK
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1733-1966
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.47 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Luke, Old Street, Finsbury | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Luke, Old Street, was one of the last to be built under the 1711 "Act for the building of Fifty New Churches in the Cities of London and Westminster or the Suburbs thereof" to be paid for by a tax levied on coal entering the City of London. It was designed by the Church Commissioner's surveyors, Nicholas Hawksmoor and John James, 1727-1733: the spire is in the shape of a fluted obelisk. The parish was formed from Saint Giles, Cripplegate in 1733 and is now again part of Saint Giles.

After the amalgamation of the parish with Saint Giles, the building was left unused for 30 years. It has now been restored with Lottery funding and is known as LSO Saint Luke's - the London Symphony Orchestra's Music Education Centre.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Luke, Old Street, Finsbury, including registers of baptisms, marriages, confirmations, burials and banns of marriages; register of headstones and monumental inscriptions; register of church services and preachers; register of poor children; Parish or Chapter books; minutes of General Committee of the (Young) Women's Help Society, Saint Luke's Branch; scrapbook of printed notices and press cuttings relating to services, charities, entertainments, and so on; parish reports and orders of removal.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

P76/LUK/001-107: Registers; P76/LUK/108-133: Other Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in multiple accessions in 1954, 1961, 1967 and 1969.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"