AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/025
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1654-1972
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.25 linear metres (144 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary the Virgin, Norwood Green | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Norwood was part of the parish of Hayes, and its chapel was considered a chapel of ease to the Hayes parish church. The advowson of the Norwood church was therefore the same as that of Hayes church, and was vested in the Archbishop of Canterbury. As early as 1656 there was a petition for Norwood to be made a parish in its own right. In 1770 the advowson of Hayes and Norwood was annexed to the lordship of Hayes. It was not until 1859 that Hayes became a separate parish. The church of Saint Mary the Virgin is situated in Tentelow Lane. The earliest parts of the building date to the 12th century. The church was restored in 1864 and again in 1950. The churchyard was closed for burials in 1883.

Biscoe's Endowed School, Tentelow Lane, was the earliest school to be established in Norwood. It was built by Elisha Biscoe in 1767. Biscoe bequeathed 3,500 to pay for staff to educate children from Heston, Hayes and Norwood. The school was closed in 1950 and the building sold as a private residence.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 50-55. Available online.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St Mary the Virgin, Norwood Green, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage and church services; papers relating to income and endowments; Churchwardens financial accounts; Parochial Church Council minutes, financial accounts and correspondence; and papers of Biscoe's Endowed School including minutes, trust deeds, correspondence, financial accounts and papers relating to the school building.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records arranged into 4 sub-fonds as follows: A: Incumbent; B: Churchwardens; C: Parochial Church Council and D: Biscoe's Endowed School.

Conditions governing access:

Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in October 1973.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Later registers are in the care of the incumbent.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"