AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4296
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1915-1973
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.16 linear metres
Name of creator(s): London Jewish Hospital


Administrative/Biographical history:

The ideal behind the promoters of the London Jewish Hospital movement was the provision of a strictly orthodox Jewish Hospital in London.

The movement was started in 1907 in the East End of London. By 1909 a site at Stepney Green had been acquired. In 1912 architects Messrs E.T. and E.S. Hall were instructed to prepare plans for the proposed hospital. Work on the hospital building commenced in Autumn 1914 but was forced to stop due to the outbreak of war. The foundation stone was laid on 14 November 1915 by Mrs S.D. Sasson and the first section of the building was complete by May 1916. In 1919 the Out-Patients Department was opened. The Hospital was consecrated in the same year and was publically opened on October 26, 1919. By 1921 an In-Patient Department had opened. Over the years various buildings were built to accomodate wards, nurses and operating theatres. In the 1920s it was recognised by the General Nursing Council for England and Wales as a complete training school for nurses.

In 1940 the Hospital was hit by an enemy bomb which caused considerable damage. However, it was repaired by Passover 1941. The administration of the Association responsible for the Hospital was originally based around the Council of Management and "Branches" which became essentially collecting bodies and elected Governors on the basis of the amount of their weekly contribution. (In 1915 these were Branch no. 1; Branch no. 2; Young Workers Branch no. 3; Zekeinim Branch no. 4; Woolwich Branch no. 5; North London Branch no. 6; West London Branch no. 7; North Western Branch no. 8; Ladies Branch no. 9; Juniors Branch no. 10; Achdus Branch no. 11). The branches gradually had diminishing responsibilities and the Council became the major focus.

The Hospital formed part of the National Health Service after 5th July 1948 and fell within the area of the North East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board set up under the act. It was still allowed to maintain its special character but 1947 was the last occasion on which the Council of Management would present a report. By 1969 the Annual Report had subsequently became known as a report of the Friends of the London Jewish Hospital Limited.

In 1966 Waverley Manor was opened as a short-stay home in Hendon, adminstered by the Friends and primarily for the patients of the London Jewish Hospital. In 1972 a big change in status occurred and the Hospital became a Geriatric Hospital under the revised Health Service Regulations.


Scope and content/abstract:

Annual reports of the London Jewish Hospital, for the years 1915, 1919, 1921, 1926, 1932, 1933, 1940, 1943, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1970 and 1972.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Arranged in chronological order.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited as a gift by Dr. G. Black in April 2001, at the same time as material relating to the Jews' Free School (LMA/4297).

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

For further information please consult the LMA Information Leaflet: "Records of the Anglo-Jewish Community at London Metropolitan Archives"; available to download here: (URL correct Feb 2010).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Description prepared in March 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"