AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/163
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1834-1930
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.37 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Paul, Edmonton | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Paul's, Winchmore Hill, was constructed in 1828 as a chapel of ease to Edmonton parish church. It became a district chapelry in 1851. The church building was designed by John Davies and erected in 1828, in a Gothic style. Repairs were necessary in 1844 after thieves set fire to the building; and enlargements were carried out in 1888 and 1928. A parish hall was added in 1905.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 181-187.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St Paul, Edmonton, including baptism registers (1834-1928), marriage registers (1838-1928), banns registers (1852-1915), church service registers, papers relating to the benefice and terrier, faculties relating to the maintenance of the church, Parochial Church Council and other Committee minutes, financial accounts and parish magazines (1887-1930). Also registers for baptisms at Saint Thomas, Winchmore Hill (1908-1920).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in 9 series as follows: A - Parish Registers; B - Church Services/Work of Clergy; E - Benefice; F - Church Buildings; L - Parish Administration; M - Parish Finance; N and P - Parish Organisations; U - Printed Material.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in January 2004.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"