AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT ANDREW, HOLBORN: HOLBORN CIRCUS, CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P82/AND
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT ANDREW, HOLBORN: HOLBORN CIRCUS, CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1558-1989
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.5 linear metres (LMA holdings) and 1095 production units and 43 files (former Guildhall holdings).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Andrew, Holborn Circus | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Andrew Holborn is an ancient foundation. It is probably the church of Saint Andrew mentioned in a 951 charter of King Edgar. The church was not destroyed by the Great Fire, but was rebuilt by Wren in 1684. It was the largest of his parish churches. In 1827 Doctor William Marsden found a young girl dying of exposure in the churchyard. The incident spurred him to create the Royal Free Hospital where the poor could seek treatment. Part of the churchyard was lost when the Holborn Viaduct was constructed in 1863-1869. The church building was restored in 1872 by S.S. Teulon. The church was bombed in the Second World War, but was rebuilt following its original form in 1960-1961. The parish has been united with Saint Bride's, Fleet Street.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Andrew, Holborn Circus. The main archive dates from the 17th century, with parish registers from 1558 (baptisms, marriages, burials and preachers), vestry minutes from 1601 and rate assessments from 1665. The archive includes records of the City part of the parish and of the Middlesex part ("above Bars"). Most records are joint (City and Middlesex), but rate books in particular are often separate. Also includes papers relating to parochial charities, papers of the trustees, papers of the school and poor law records.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English and Latin.

System of arrangement:

The former Guildhall records have been arranged in sections as follows:
A - Parish registers;
B - Vestry and parish officers;
C - Rate assessments and inhabitants lists;
D - Charities and estates;
E - Parochial Schools.
The former LMA holdings are catalogued as P82/AND/001-043.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of the parish of Saint Andrew Holborn were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1921. The most recent deposit was in 1994. A separate accession of records were deposited with a predecessor of the LMA in 1955. The collections have now been united since the merger of the Guildhall Manuscripts Section and the LMA in 2008.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING