AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P73/CTC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1838-1948
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.34 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Christ Church, Camberwell | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

In the early 19th century, North Peckham was mostly fields and market gardens. The opening of the Surrey Canal and the development of the South Metropolitan Gasworks saw the population grow and Christ Church was formed out of the parish of St Giles Camberwell in 1838 to serve the needs of these new residents. It had originally been named Saint Thomas's, but the name was changed by 1842.

The rapid expansion of the gas works led to the original building being demolished and a new church being built in 1868 on the opposite side of the Old Kent Road. Badly damaged by bombing in September 1941, the church remained a ruin for 15 years before funds were found to rebuild the church, where it remains today.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Christ Church, Camberwell, including registers of baptisms and marriages; Churchwarden's vouchers; papers relating to the parish school; papers relating to the church buildings; correspondence relating to parish boundaries; and newspaper cuttings.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in the former London County Record Office on 4 March 1955.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"