AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MICHAEL, GOLDERS GREEN: GOLDERS GREEN ROAD, BARNET

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/088
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MICHAEL, GOLDERS GREEN: GOLDERS GREEN ROAD, BARNET
Date(s): 1910-1979
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.8 linear metres (21 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Michael, Golders Green | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of St Michael originated as a mission church and from 1910 services were held in a temporary iron church in Golders Green Road. In 1914, when the parish was taken from that of St Mary, Hendon, work began on the building of a new church. This church, a large Gothic building of buff brick, was designed by J.T. Lee of Tufnell Park. Two more bays were added to the nave in 1925 and a low north western tower, surmounted by a classic cupola, was added in 1960. From 1970 the church was shared with a Greek Orthodox community, which had previously used Christ Church, Brent Street. St Michael's Church was closed in 1979 on union with St Alban the Martyr and is now used wholly by a Greek Orthodox congregation.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Saint Michael, Golders Green, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage and church services.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

DRO/088/001: Baptisms; DRO/088/002-013: Marriages and Banns; DRO/088/014-026: Services.

Conditions governing access:

Files DRO/088/001-003 and DRO/088/010/13 are not available for consultation, please use microfilms.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited by the Incumbent, on 25 March 1992.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Later registers are in the care of the Incumbent. For St Alban the Martyr see DRO/087.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING