AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HOLY CROSS, GREENFORD

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0937
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HOLY CROSS, GREENFORD
Date(s): 1776
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): R Binfield

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Victoria County History of Middlesex notes that "the ancient parish of Greenford lay to the northwest of Ealing. It covered approximately 2 miles from north to south, and 1 from east to west, and in the 1860's comprised an area of 2,078 acres north and west of the River Brent, which formed part of the southern and western boundaries. Elsewhere the boundaries crossed former open-field country and were defined only by artificial boundary marks. In 1775 a detached area of Northolt lay inside the parish, in a rectangle of 46 acres immediately north of the Ruislip Road and west of Oldfield Lane. It had become part of Greenford by 1871. Another detached area of Northolt in the parish in the 1860's lay along the southern field boundary. This was called Mill Field in 1775 and was owned by Daniel Larrimore of Greenford, but the tithes were being claimed by Northolt. This 2-acre piece of land remained detached at least until the end of the 19th century. There were no detached areas of Greenford parish. In 1894, when the urban district was set up, the civil parish of Greenford covered 2,127 acres, which remained unaltered until 1926, when the parish was dissolved and became part of the municipal borough and civil parish of Ealing."

From: 'Greenford: Introduction', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 206-209 (available online).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Survey map of the parish of Holy Cross, Greenford, by R Binfield of Eton, 1776. Glebe, freehold and copyhold land are identified by coloured boundaries.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

One item.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

The Petingale Collection of topographical material (mainly on Middlesex) was collected by the late John Lawson Petingale.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Accessioned in January 1967; formerly part of the Petingale Collection.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING