AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CHRIST CHURCH, CLAPTON: RENDELESHAM ROAD, HACKNEY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P79/CTC2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CHRIST CHURCH, CLAPTON: RENDELESHAM ROAD, HACKNEY
Date(s): 1871-1953
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.44 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Christ Church, Clapton | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

An iron church, seating 350, served by an assistant curate from Saint James, opened in 1868 in Walsingham Road. A site for a permanent church on the south corner of Kenninghall Road was acquired from Charles Jacomb in 1866 and conveyed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1870. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 30th August 1870. It was consecrated by John Jackson, Bishop of London on 6th May 1871. A district was assigned from parts of the parishes of West Hackney and Saint James in 1871.

Christ Church was destroyed by enemy action in 1944. Services thereafter were held either in the parish hall or in Saint James' church. The parish was united with Saint James the Great, Clapton in June 1953, Saint James becoming the parish church of Saint James with Christ Church, Clapton.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Christ Church, Clapton, including registers of baptisms, marriages and confirmations; faculties; audited accounts; and printed history of the parish.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in the Greater London Record Office on 18 December 1984 by the Team Vicar of St. James with Christ Church, Clapton.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING