AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HOLY CROSS, GREENFORD: FERRYMEADS GARDENS, EALING

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/175
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HOLY CROSS, GREENFORD: FERRYMEADS GARDENS, EALING
Date(s): 1540-2006
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.43 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Holy Cross, Greenford | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Holy Cross, Greenford is an ancient parish in the Ealing West Deanery which is within the Willesden Area of the Diocese of London. Due to population increases in the 1930s, three mission churches were opened in the parish: All Hallows in North Greenford; Christ the Redeemer, Windmill Lane and St Edward the Confessor in Perivale Park. All Hallows became a parish in its own right in 1949, as did Christ the Redeemer in 1964. The connection between Holy Cross and its mission churches is evident in the Parochial Church Council minutes.

In spite of the increased provision of places of worship within the parish the church at Holy Cross was proving far too small for the population by the end of the 1930s. Professor Sir Albert Richardson designed the New Church which was built in 1939-1940. It is situated a few yards to the west of the Old Church.

Due to its state of repair the Old Church was closed in 1951. After restoration it was reconsecrated in 1956. Currently services take place in both churches.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Holy Cross, Greenford. This collection includes parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials (1539/40-1989); photographs of church services, buildings, furniture and events (1935-1980); faculties, related correspondence, plans and photographs (1898-1997); various correspondence and other papers relating to rectors and curates of the parish (1822-1963); correspondence and plans relating to the changes in parish boundaries 1948-1967); a terrier (1890); altered tithe apportionments and other items related to the collection of tithes (1821-1935); vestry minute meeting books (1776-1912); Parochial Church Council minutes and sub-committee minutes (1945-1995); parish finances (1958-1995); electoral rolls (1920s-1990); Overseers' of the Poor account books (1771-1835); parish charity finances and correspondence (1799-1994); Betham School mangers' records (1903-1940); other Betham School records (1899-1903); parish magazines (1910-2006) and drawings of the churches (1809-1987).

Of particular note are plans for the decorative interior woodwork of the New Church designed by the architectural practice of Professor Sir A E Richardson (1945).

As marriage ceremonies are performed in both the Old and New Churches there are separate registers for the marriage services in the two buildings.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in 8 sub-fonds: A - Incumbent; B - Churchwardens; C - Vestry; D - Parochial Church Council; E - Overseers of the Poor; F - Charities; G - School; and H - Parish Outreach.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in May 2007.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also DRO/170: Saint Edward the Confessor, Greenford and ACC/0937/001: Survey of the parish of Greenford by R Binfield of Eton, 1776.

The vestry minutes for the Parish dating 1912-1924 can be found at Ealing Local History Centre (ACC 88/1).


Publication note:

The following sources were used in the compilation of this catalogue.

Middlesex Charity Commissioners' Report (1822)

Middlesex Victoria County History (online): http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=22338#n14

Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online): http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/2298?_fromAuth=1

Holy Cross Parish, Greenford website: http://www.greenfordmagna.info/

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING