AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P71/AUG
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1870-1992
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.03 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Augustine, Bermondsey | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Saint Augustine was created from the overpopulated parish of Saint James, Bermondsey. Before the parish became independent services were held in the mission church of Saint Stephen, Tenda Road. The name of Saint Augustine was not adopted until 27 April 1873. Baptisms performed at Saint Stephen's 1872-1873 are recorded in P71/AUG/1.

To fulfil the needs of the rapidly increasing population a large and impressive church was planned. The architect was H. Jarvis. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Rochester in 1878 but the building work was not completed until 1883 after various financial and personnel problems had been overcome. During the incumbency of the first vicar, the Revd W.J. Stobart (1878-1903), various parish organisations were formed including a Sunday School which opened in the girls department of Galleywall load School in November 1878.

In the early years of the twentieth century the parish population continued to rise and there was talk of expansion. However by the 1950s the number of churchgoers was dwindling. On 1 December 1994 the parish was united with Saint Anne, Thorburn Square, Bermondsey (see P71/ANN). The church of Saint Augustine was declared redundant on 11 April 1995. It is presently in use as a Pentecostal church.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St Augustine, Bermondsey, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, confirmations, and church services. Also records of the work of the clergy; papers relating to parish boundaries and the benefice; papers relating to the maintenance of Church buildings; Churchwardens' records; parish administration and finance files including Parochial Church Council minutes.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in June 1996, with a further accession in September 2006.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Further details of the development of the church can be found in the following volumes in the LMA History Library: London Churches Ancient and Modern, T Francis Bumpus (59.1 BUM); A guide to London's Churches, Mervyn Blatch (59.1 BLA).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"