AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT LAURENCE, NEW BRENTFORD: HOUNSLOW

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/058
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT LAURENCE, NEW BRENTFORD: HOUNSLOW
Date(s): 1570-1977
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.7 linear metres (397 documents).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Lawrence, New Brentford | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of New Brentford had its origins as a medieval chapelry formed out of the southern end of the parish of Hanwell. Between 1175 and 1179 Ralph de Brito founded St Lawrence's Hospital, New Brentford in honour of the royal family, his lord and his own kin. Beside it he founded St Lawrence's chapel, served by a chaplain and with its own burial ground. All offerings and tithes were reserved to the Rector of Hanwell. De Brito made no provision for appointments, and the chapel was served by the Rector of Hanwell or his nominees. The chaplain enjoyed some tithes by 1721 when New Brentford, already governed by its own vestry, was made a separate ecclesiastical parish. The patronage still remained with the Rector of Hanwell and in 1744 New Brentford became a perpetual curacy or vicarage in the gift of the Rector of Hanwell. In 1961 St Lawrence was amalgamated with St George and St Paul, Old Brentford under the patronage of the Bishop of London.

Source of information: 'Ealing and Brentford: Churches: Brentford', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 153-157.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Lawrence, New Brentford, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials; banns of marriage, and church services; papers relating to tithes and income; Churchwardens' papers; papers relating to the maintenance of church buildings; Vestry minutes; papers relating to parish charities; minutes of the Trustees and managers of New Brentford Charity Schools (later the National Schools); National Schools log books and attendance registers; papers of the Overseers of the Poor including settlement examinations; Parochial Church Council minutes; parish magazines and photographs.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series: Parish Records (DRO/058/001-359).

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records of St Lawrence's Church, New Brentford, deposited in the Greater London Record Office, 40 Northampton Road, London, EC1R OHB, 14 May 1984.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also the records of Saint George, Old Brentford (DRO/059), and Saint Paul, Brentford (DRO/060).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING