AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT ANDREW, UXBRIDGE: HIGH STREET, UXBRIDGE, HILLINGDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/106
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT ANDREW, UXBRIDGE: HIGH STREET, UXBRIDGE, HILLINGDON
Date(s): 1864-1993
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 7.03 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Andrew, Uxbridge | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Andrew's church opened in 1865. The church was designed by George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878) in an early Gothic style. Reverend Richard Croft, Vicar of Hillingdon 1856-69 was responsible for asking Sir Gilbert Scott to design a new church for Uxbridge. The builder of the church was William Fassnidge of Uxbridge. The foundation stone was laid on 29-06-1864 and the completed church was consecrated on 01-05-1865.

The original church consisted of a chancel, aisled nave, south porch and sanctuary. The tower and shingled spire were completed in 1866. There have been various alterations to the church over the years including a major restoration project on the spire between 1952 and 1957. This project was led by the company Gray's of Holborn.

A mission room dedicated to Saint Peter was built in the Greenway in 1906.

From: "Hillingdon, including Uxbridge: Churches"; A History of the County of Middlesex, Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Rusilip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 87 - 91.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Andrew, Uxbridge, including baptism registers (1865-1947), marriage registers (1865-1958), burial registers (1867-1896), banns of marriage registers (1914-1993), service registers, orders of services, Vestry Minutes, Parochial Church Council Minutes, parish magazines, electoral rolls, annual accounts, ledgers, account books of fees, plans of church, and specification of works.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Listed in accordance with LMA Listing guidelines and classification scheme introduced October 2007. Arranged by sub-fonds then into series; thereafter files are listed in chronological order by creation date.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in December 1995.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For the mission church of Saint Peter, established by Saint Andrew's, see DRO/180.


Publication note:

SAINT ANDREW'S PARISH CHURCH, 1969. A.B.C Guide to our Church, The Church Publishers: Ramsgate, Kent (see DRO/106/I/02/001).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING