AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT SAVIOUR, HAMPSTEAD: ETON ROAD, CAMDEN

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P81/SAV
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT SAVIOUR, HAMPSTEAD: ETON ROAD, CAMDEN
Date(s): 1846-1979
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.55 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Saviour, Hampstead | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

As part of London's expansion to the north-west in the 1830s-1840s the Chalcot estate, part of the endowment bestowed on Eton College by Henry VI, was developed. The burgeoning middle-class community in the area engendered the construction of a church and, by 1846, a committee of local residents was in place to supervise proceedings. Eton College (dominant landowners in the locality) donated a site and in 1847 building began. The following year however, financial problems caused work to be suspended and a temporary church on another part of Eton Road was raised instead. By 1852 a new building committee had formed. Subscriptions were sought and, under the direction of architect E.M. Barry, work recommenced on a permanent structure. The church was consecrated in 1856; a tower and spire were added in 1864; and the vicarage was completed in 1870.

Saint Saviour's was initially established as a district chapelry of Saint John's in the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (now Hampstead) and later became a parish. The cure was subject to numerous boundary changes, the most significant of these in 1870 when the Fleet Road district passed to Saint Saviour's from Saint Stephen's, Hampstead. A leased site in Fleet Mews became the locus for day and Sunday schools, administered by a Schools Committee. On the lease expiry in 1877, a purpose built room was founded in Fleet Road to extend mission work in the area. At the same time, the day school was discontinued. The Schools Committee was duly dissolved to be replaced by a new Mission Room and Sunday School Committee. Work at Fleet Road prospered under the stewardship of licensed reader Charles Mackeson. Its success led to the foundation of All Hallows, Gospel Oak where Mackeson served as an ordained minister. The Mission Room (later Hall) was augmented and expanded by the Wharrie Hall building - erected in 1924 with a bequest from local benefactor Mary Wharrie.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Saviour, Hampstead, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, and confirmations; registers of church services; preachers' books; orders of service; papers relating to staff appointments; papers relating to parish boundaries including plans and orders; papers relating to glebe lands; Parochial Church Council minutes; financial accounts; records pertaining to the building of the church (1846-1858), subsequent restoration and repairs (from 1872 onwards); documentation regarding Mission Hall and Wharrie Hall (1877-1950); a collection of parish publications (1884-1926); and a richly illustrated and supplemented Book of Remembrance for World War One.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The archive contains records in various formats - volumes, plans, papers - and has been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology and the GLRO's hierarchical schema for parish sources.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in May 1996.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING