AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P71/JS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1829-1994
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 22.55 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James, Bermondsey | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1821, the land which forms part of the churchyard was bought and a generous grant from the Commissioners of the Fund was secured. The Chairman of the Committee was William Nottidge, a wool-stapler; with him were two brothers, William George and Richard King Watts, tanners; John Harcourt, Thomas Keeton and Martin Carter, all builders, Robert Rich, who commanded the Bermondsey Volunteers and Dr William Harrison, one of the two Chaplains of Sat Saviour's, Southwark.

With a liberal grant from the parishioners and a gift from the commissioners, the contract for the building of the church, costing 21,412.19.5, was signed. The first stone was laid on 21st February 1827. The church was consecrated by Dr Sumner, Bishop of Winchester, on May 7th 1829. Initially the church encountered some financial difficulty, however by 1840 the last loan had been repaid and the church was free of debt.

The parish of Saint James was formed in 1840, from part of the parish of Saint Mary Magdalene. The creation of new parish in the Bermondsey area was necessitated by a great increase in population. The advowson of the parish was held by the rector of Bermondsey.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint James Church Bermondsey on Jamaica Road in Southwark. The records include registers of baptism, registers of marriages, registers of burials, registers of confirmations, a photograph, assignment deeds, patronage deeds, conveyance documents, church restoration accounts and papers, faculty documents, plans, notebooks recording inscriptions from the churchyard, letters, meeting minutes, annual reports, papers relating to re-arrangement, churchwardens accounts, school documents, parish magazines, historical notes, sermons, and service leaflets.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration: Parish Registers, Church Personnel, Church Boundaries/Benefice, Church Buildings, Churchyard, Parish Administration, Parish Finance, Schools, Printed Material and General Papers.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records of St. James, Jamaica Road, Bermondsey, deposited in the London County Record Office in March 1965.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010, with additions August 2012.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"