AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ALL SAINTS, LALEHAM: LALEHAM VILLAGE, SURREY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/021
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ALL SAINTS, LALEHAM: LALEHAM VILLAGE, SURREY
Date(s): 1538-1982
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.08 linear metres (106 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Saints, Laleham | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Laleham was situated in the county of Middlesex, although it was later transferred to Surrey. Land at Laleham was granted to Westminster Abbey by King Edward the Confessor. It is probable that the Abbey was responsible for building Laleham Church. Laleham was a vicarage in the gift of the Abbot and Convent of Westminster until 1448 when it became a chapel of ease to Staines. The small tithes were settled on the Vicar of Staines who was to provide a fit chaplain. After the dissolution of the monasteries the livings of Staines and Laleham were granted by the King to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. In 1649, 1660 and 1663 Sir Thomas Reynell, Lord of the Manor of Laleham, presented to the vicarage of Laleham, but by 1683 it was once more a chapel of ease to Staines. In 1858 Laleham became a district perpetual curacy. The Earls of Lucan had purchased the Manor of Laleham in 1803 and in 1883 acquired the patronage of the living.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Parish of All Saints, Laleham, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage and church services; papers relating to glebe lands, benefices and tithes; Churchwarden's accounts; faculties and other papers relating to the maintenance of the church building, fittings and churchyard; Vestry minute books; Parochial Church Council cash books; papers relating to parish charities; papers relating to Laleham School; financial accounts of the Overseers of the Poor; enclosure awards and maps; and some correspondence.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records are arranged in 14 series as follows: Parish Registers; Church Services; Parochial Statistics; Benefice; Churchwarden's Accounts; Church Fabric and Contents; Churchyard; Vestry; Parochial Church Council; Charities; School; Overseers of the Poor; Enclosure; and Miscellaneous.

Conditions governing access:

DRO/021/001-012 and DRO/021/106 are not available for consultation, please use microfilm.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records were deposited in the Greater London Record Office by the Vicar, 19 May 1970 and 5 October 1983, with a further accession in 1997.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING