AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, TWICKENHAM: CHURCH STREET, RICHMOND

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0535
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, TWICKENHAM: CHURCH STREET, RICHMOND
Date(s): 1851-1852
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Church of England | St Mary the Virgin Church, Twickenham

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Each parish was obliged to elect Overseers of the Poor by the Poor Law Act of 1598 and the Poor Relief Act of 1601. The Overseers were responsible for collecting the poor rate from inhabitants of the parish, and using the rate to relieve local paupers, including running a workhouse if they so chose. The Clerk of the Peace was responsible for keeping the records of Quarter Sessions for each county.

Saint Mary the Virgin is an ancient parish within Hampton Deanery, which is within the Kensington Area of the Diocese of London. The following parishes were cleaved from the ancient parish: Holy Trinity, Twickenham Common (1842); Saint Stephen, East Twickenham (1875); Twickenham, All Saints (1914) and Twickenham, All Hallows (1939). The parish of Saint Philip and Saint Paul, Whitton, was also created from Saint Mary's in 1862. Saint Augustine of Canterbury, Whitton, was created as a London Diocesan Home Mission church in 1935, within the parish of Saint Philip and Saint Paul, and became a separate parish in 1958.

The church of Saint Mary the Virgin was rebuilt in 1714-15 by John James, who was one of the surveyors to Queen Anne's Fifty New Churches project. Its structure is of red brick with Tuscan pilasters surmounted by a pediments. There is an early 16th century bell, three from the 17th century and four from the 18th century. The church was enlarged again in 1754. There are many original fittings including the gallery fronts and reredos and also monuments: a mediaeval monument brass of 1443 to Richard Burton, the King's chief cook. There is a monument to Alexander Pope and his parent (Pope and his mother are buried here).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Overseers' records from the parish of Saint Mary the Virgin, Twickenham; comprising demands from the Clerk of Peace to the Overseers of the Poor of Twickenham for the County Rate and Rate under Lunatic Asylum Act, accompanied by relevant printed reports of Quarter Sessions, County Treasurers' Accounts and lists of demands outstanding.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Documents are arranged in chronological order.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received as a gift from Twickenham Public Library 16th July, 1954.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For records of the church, see DRO/174.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING