AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, PERIVALE: PERIVALE LANE, EALING

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/073
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, PERIVALE: PERIVALE LANE, EALING
Date(s): 1707-1990
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.73 linear metres (136 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary The Virgin, Perivale | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The medieval parish church of Perivale or Little Greenford, St Mary the Virgin, is situated in the valley of the River Brent south of Western Avenue in the south west corner of the parish. When suburban development reached Perivale in the 1930s, a mission church dedicated to St Nicholas was built on the north side of Western Avenue, where most of the development was taking place. The parish was extended to the east in 1932 to take in part of St James, Alperton and St Barnabas, Ealing. St Nicholas' Church was consecrated in 1935 and was assigned a conventional district, but was never licensed for marriages. It was placed in the care of a missioner with the intention that in time it would become a separate parish. It had its own Parochial Church Council and published its own parish magazine. In the 1950s the Bishop of London decided that Perivale should remain one parish. At the end of 1955 St Nicholas again became an integral part of the parish of Perivale and ceased to maintain separate accounts. The missioner was replaced by a priest-in-charge under the authority of the Rector of Perivale. The two parts of the parish were brought closer together at the end of 1959 when the priest-in-charge of St Nicholas, the Reverend W H Hobday, became Rector of Perivale. A new parish church was built in the early 1960s to replace both St Mary and St Nicholas. It is situated in Federal Road adjacent to St Nicholas Church, which is now the parish hall. It was consecrated in 1965 and dedicated to both St Mary the Virgin and St Nicholas. The old parish church was restored and continued in use until 1972 when it was closed and declared redundant. It is now an arts centre. St Mary's burial ground has been closed but occasional interments still take place there in private graves. The Perivale Committee was set up by St Mary's Parochial Church Council.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary the Virgin, Perivale, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, graves and church services; Vestry minute book; Parochial Church Council minute books; plans of churchyard showing graves; Perivale Committee minute books; annual reports; newsletters and parish magazines; faculties; papers relating to tithes.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series: Parish Records (DRO/073/001-140).

Conditions governing access:

Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records DRO/073/001-125 deposited in June 1987; records DRO/073/126-136 deposited in June 1990.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Later registers are in the care of the incumbent. The early parish registers are believed to have been destroyed.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING