AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARGARET, UXBRIDGE: WINDSOR STREET, HILLINGDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/1123
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARGARET, UXBRIDGE: WINDSOR STREET, HILLINGDON
Date(s): 1459
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Church of England | Parish of St Margaret, Uxbridge

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

A chapel was constructed in Uxbridge possibly as early as 1200, and was dedicated to Saint Margaret by 1281. According to the 'History of the County of Middlesex', "A chantry for the soul of Walter Shiryngton, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, was endowed in 1459 with 27 acres of land and tenements in the town. Shiryngton's chantry was worth 7 in 1535, and in 1548 the chantry possessions, which included the 'Bull' and the 'Cross Keys' in Uxbridge, were valued at 11". This is probably the chantry referred to in this document.

Source: 'Hillingdon, including Uxbridge: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 87-91 (available online).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the church of Saint Margaret, Uxbridge, comprising the foundation charter of a perpetual chantry for one chaplain [Walter Shiryngton?], 1459.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

One document catalogued as ACC/1123/001.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in June 1971.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See DRO/10 for parish records of St Margaret's.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING