AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/053
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1884-1996
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.3 linear metres (365 documents).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Paul, Harringay | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

In December 1883 an iron mission church was opened in Burgoyne Road, Harringay which seated 200 people in a district still thinly populated within the parish of Hornsey. In 1887, the Reverend J. H. Greaves became priest of this temporary church in place of the Reverend J. Stanley, who had acted as mission priest since 1833. By 1887 the population of the area had grown to such an extent that the iron church had to be enlarged and the committee formed several years before for building a permanent church decided to dissolve itself in favor of a larger committee, constituted in 1888. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 31 May 1890, and the nave consecrated by the Bishop of London in October 1891. The old iron church was then converted into a parish room and an additional church room was opened in Cavendish Road in 1895. In 1902 St Paul, Harringay became a parish in its own right with the Reverend J. H. Greaves as its first vicar, and between 1902 and 1903 the chancel and vicarage were constructed. The parish was enlarged in 1903 by the addition of a portion of the parish of St Ann, Tottenham on the east side of Greenlands and a mission room was built there and dedicated in 1904. In 1925 a new parish hall was opened in Burgoyne Road on the site of the demolished parish room and in 1975 the church room in Cavendish Road was replaced by a new church hall/community centre.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Paul, Harringay, including registers of baptisms, marriages, confirmations and church services; preachers' books; papers relating to parish boundaries including maps; correspondence; papers regarding the construction and maintenance of church buildings and the hall; financial accounts; Vestry minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to church socieities and social events; photographs; press cuttings; and parish magazines.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series: Parish Records (DRO/053/001 - DRO/053/365).

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the incumbent in four accessions; in 1983, 1984, 1995 and 1996.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For missions and charities committee minute books, 1921-32, see DRO 53/200-201. For vicarage and chancel building committee minutes 1888-1906, see DRO 53/204, and for correspondence etc. regarding building see DRO/053/232.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"