AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT GEORGE, CAMBERWELL: WELLS WAY, SOUTHWARK

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P73/GEO
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT GEORGE, CAMBERWELL: WELLS WAY, SOUTHWARK
Date(s): 1825-1989
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.83 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St George, Camberwell | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint George was built between 1822 and 1824 at a cost of 16700, as one of a number of churches built in the period 1815-1825 in South London. It had a Doric portico and a tower, with a flat, panelled ceiling. An apse was added in 1893. Saint George's was the first ''daughter'' church to Saint Giles, the ancient parish church of Camberwell. It reflected the location and intensity of develpoment in the area, which was undergoing rapid population growth. The Peckham extension of the Grand Surrey Canal flowed alongside the church.

The church was closed as a centre of Anglican worship in 1970 but the parish continues. The church was acquired by an evangelical church in 1977. The parish church is now a purpose built worship area within Trinity College Centre, Newent Close, London, SE15.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St George, Camberwell, including registers of baptisms, burials, marriages, and confirmations; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; minutes of other Committees; Churchwardens' account books; financial records including church rate books; papers relating to Saint George's National and Infants Schools; registers of church services; plan of parish and other papers relating to parish boundaries; papers relating to church buildings including the vicarage; photographs; papers relating to the Trinity College Mission; and parish magazines.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1970, with further accessions in 1985, 1988 and 1992.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING