AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT PAUL, HAMMERSMITH: QUEEN CAROLINE STREET, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P80/PAU
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT PAUL, HAMMERSMITH: QUEEN CAROLINE STREET, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM
Date(s): 1796-1851
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.76 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Paul, Hammersmith | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Hammersmith was a hamlet of the parish of Fulham, until a separate parish was created in 1834 (4 and 5 William IV, c.75). By an order of the Poor Law Commissioners on 12 Jan 1837 it became a parish of the Kensington Union. It was united again with the parish of Fulham, as Fulham Union, from 26 March 1845-25 Mar 1899. The records listed here date from all four periods in its history; individual items may cover two or more periods.

The church of Saint Paul, Hammersmith, was first established as a chapel within the parish of Fulham in 1631. It became an independent parish from 1834. The current church on Queen Caroline Street was constructed in 1882. As the population in the area grew, it became necessary to make the parish of Saint Paul smaller as other churches were constructed and assigned separate parishes.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Paul, Hammersmith, including Vestry minutes; records of the Overseers of the Poor including financial accounts and minutes of the Workhouse Committee; and settlement examinations.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series: P80/PAU-1: Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in October 1954, with a further accession in June 1961.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For records of the Fulham Board of Guardians see FBG and the Kensington Board of Guardians see KBG. For registers and other records of Saint Paul's Church see Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING