AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/008
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1622-1984
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.48 linear metres (521 documents).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John the Baptist, Pinner | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Pinner was originally a chapelry within the parish of Harrow which was a peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1546 the advowson and tithes passed to Christ Church, Oxford. Pinner was served by the Vicar of Harrow or his curate. During the 17th century benefactions of land established an income for a curate at Pinner. Although Pinner achieved some measure of independence from Harrow by the end of the 17th century, it was not until 1766 after a grant from the Queen Anne's Bounty, that Pinner became an independent parish.

A chapel was in existence at Pinner by 1234-40 and the plan and part of the North East wall of the Church may be 13th century. However, most of the building dates from the early 14th century as the chapel was rebuilt before its consecration in 1321. The tower was added in the 15th century and alterations and repairs were carried out in the 19th and earlier 20th centuries. The renovation of 1880 was carried out by JL Pearson.

Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971). Available online.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Parish of St John the Baptist, Pinner, including registers of baptisms, banns, marriages and burials; registers of services; marriage licences; correspondence regarding parish boundary changes; papers relating to tithes and endowments; Churchwardens' papers relating to rates, financial accounts and the maintenance of the church and burial ground; Vestry meeting minutes; papers of the Overseers of the Poor relating to rates and the workhouse; minutes, reports and correspondence of the Parochial Church Council; papers relating to parish charities; papers relating to Pinner National School; minutes of the Bell Ringers Association; minutes of St Johns Social Club (later Pinner Church Youth Club); copies of parish magazines; and historical notes relating to the church and parish.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records are arranged in 10 subfonds: A: Incumbent; B: Churchwardens; C: Vestry; D: Overseers of the Poor; E: Parochial Church Council; F: Charities; G: Schools; H: Societies; J: Parish magazines; K: Historical notes.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office, 3 October 1963; 1 February 1985; and 7 June 1985.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"