AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, MONKEN HADLEY: BARNET

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/017
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, MONKEN HADLEY: BARNET
Date(s): 1619-1956
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.42 linear metres (26 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary The Virgin, Monken Hadley | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Monken Hadley lay in the north-east of Middlesex, and is recorded as a separate parish by 1175. By the 19th century the parish was bordered by South Mimms, Enfield, Chipping Barnet, East Barnet, Cockfosters and the Great North Road.

A parochial church at Monken Hadley was first mentioned in 1175 under the control of the abbots of Walden, in Essex. In 1545 the advowson was conveyed to the manor and remained with the manor until 1786, when it was purchased. During the 19th century it passed through various hands, mostly the incumbent of the parish. The parish was made subject to the Bishop of London in 1777. The church was dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin. It is recorded as being reconstructed in 1494 on the site of an older building. Various extensions were added between the 15th century and 1810. In 1848 the interior was remodelled.

Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 260-269. Available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St Mary The Virgin, Monken Hadley, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage, and services; visitors book; Vestry meeting minutes; papers of parish charities; papers relating to the School of Industry and the Sunday School; and Church Council minute book.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in 6 sub-fonds as follows: A: Incumbent; B: Vestry; C: Charities; D: Schools; E: Printed Material; F: Parish Administration.

Conditions governing access:

Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in October 1968.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING