AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT GILES, CAMBERWELL: CAMBERWELL CHURCH STREET, SOUTHWARK

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P73/GIS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT GILES, CAMBERWELL: CAMBERWELL CHURCH STREET, SOUTHWARK
Date(s): 1557-1960
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 7.71 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Giles, Camberwell | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Giles is the ancient ''mother'' church of the parish of Camberwell, which included Peckham and Dulwich. It has stood on the same site since its original construction shortly after the Norman Conquest, being rebuilt in stone in 1154 and surviving until being burned down in 1841. A new church, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, with stained glass windows created by local resident and well known poet and author John Ruskin, was built in 1844.

Camberwell was a farming village surrounded by woods and fields until about 1800, with mineral wells abounding. One of these was supposed to have healing properties and many invalids visited in the hope of a cure. It is probably no coincidence that the church was named after Saint Giles, the patron saint of cripples.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Giles, Camberwell, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; Churchwardens' account books; legal documents relating to parish properties; papers relating to parish boundaries including maps; faculties; orders of service; papers relating to tithes; and history of the church.

Records relating to the civil functions of the parish including records relating to the poor rates; papers of the Overseers of the Poor; removal orders from and to the parish; settlement examinations; bastardy examinations; Workhouse Committee minutes; workhouse admission and discharge registers; and other papers relating to poor relief.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1953, with further deposits in 1954, 1961, and 1962.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING