AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT JAMES, PENTONVILLE: PENTONVILLE ROAD, ISLINGTON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P76/JS2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT JAMES, PENTONVILLE: PENTONVILLE ROAD, ISLINGTON
Date(s): 1790-1978
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.14 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James, Pentonville | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint James, Pentonville, was founded in 1778 as Pentonville Chapel, and was used as a chapel of ease to Saint James, Clerkenwell. It was not made a separate parish church until 1854 when a parish was assigned. The church served as the official church of the International Circus Clown's Club and held an annual service for circus members. A memorial to famous circus clown Joseph Grimaldi was erected in the graveyard after his death in 1837.

The church was declared redundant in May 1978 and the parish was united with All Saints, Battle Bridge, Caledonian Road. On the union of the parishes of All Saints with Saint James and Saint Andrew, Thornhill Square, Barnsbury in 1980, most of the former parish of Saint James was transferred to the parish of Saint Silas, Penton Street.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint James, Pentonville, including registers of baptisms, burials, marriages, confirmations and banns of marriage; registers of preachers; registers of church services; papers of the incumbent; papers relating to church property including plans; papers relating to the maintenance of church buildings including architect's surveys; annual reports; financial records; Vestry minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes; Managing Committee of the Pentonville Charity School minute book and other School papers; papers relating to parochial charities; scrapbooks, photographs and newsletters.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

P76/JS2/001-045: Registers; P76/JS2/046-089: Other Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the Vicar in the London County Record Office, County Hall, on 21 February 1956. Additional parish records deposited 26 May 1981, 8 June 1983 and 7 January 2005.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING