AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT PETER, BATTERSEA: PLOUGH ROAD, WANDSWORTH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P70/PET
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT PETER, BATTERSEA: PLOUGH ROAD, WANDSWORTH
Date(s): 1874-1996
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.73 linear metres (88 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Peter, Battersea | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The first church of Saint Peter, Battersea was built in 1875. This was replaced with a new church building in Plough Road following a serious fire in 1970. The parish has historical links with two other Battersea churches. It has shared boundaries with Saint Paul, St. John's Hill, since 1939. Saint Paul's was originally a chapel of ease in the parish of Saint John, Usk Road, with which it was amalgamated in 1938. Saint John's Church went into disuse after the parish of Saint Peter with Saint Paul was established. Saint Peter's Church has gone on to become the main place of worship in this parish, but readers may want to consult the records of Saint Paul and Saint John in conjunction with those from Saint Peter. The Revd. Chad Varah, founder of The Samaritans, was vicar at Saint Peter's during the 1950's.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Peter, Battersea, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage and church services; orders of services; papers regarding the maintenance of church buildings; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; financial accounts; parish magazines; historical notes and photographs.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series: P70/PET-1: Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in August 2008.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Congregations of Saint Paul and Saint John were amalgamated in 1938. Saint Paul and Saint Peter amalgamated after 1969, retaining both churches. For Saint Paul see P70/PAU; for Saint John see P70/JN.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING