AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/2230
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1739-1775
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.33 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Saint Thomas', Southwark


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Parish of Saint Thomas', Southwark was closely allied with Saint Thomas' Hospital and the Governors of the Hospital paid for the upkeep of the building and also appointed and paid the incumbent. The parish covered only eight acres and included the grounds of Saint Thomas' Hospital and much of Guy's Hospital and was therefore the parish church for the hospitals.

Th parish was not created until 1378 but there were certain parochial rights already in existance before then. The church was dedicated to Saint Thomas the Martyr until the reformation when the dedication was changed to Saint Thomas the Apostle. During the middle ages a substantial stone church was built and was granted to the corporation of the City of London with the hospital buildings at the refounding of Saint Thomas' hospital in 1551. This was rebuilt inbetween 1700 and 1702 with the interior work all being funded by the hospital.

In 1836 the parish was for poor law and other civil purposes united with Saint Olave's, Southwark and Saint John's, Horsleydown to form Saint Olave's Union. To this were added Saint Mary Magdelene, Bermondsey and Saint Mary, Rotherhithe in 1869. In 1898 Saint Thomas' Church was closed down and the parish incorporated into Saint Saviour's, Southwark for ecclesiastical purposes. The parish church of Saint Saviour later became Southwark Cathedral and Saint Thomas' church is now used as the Cathedral Chapter House. It also housed the Old Operating Theatre, Museum and Herb Garrett in the roof space of the church where an operating theatre was in use in 1821.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Parish of Saint Thomas, Southwark, comprising an account book of the Overseers of the Poor, 1739-1775.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

One volume, catalogued as ACC/2230/001.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

This volume fills a gap in the series of account books of St Thomas, Southwark, deposited in the Greater London Record Office by the Provost and Chapter of Southwark Cathedral It has not been added to that series because at some point it strayed from the custody of the parish and was acquired by the GLRO from an entirely different source.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Volume acquired in February 1986.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For other account books see P71/TMS/60-61. See also H01/ST/P.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"