AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/011
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1717-1986
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.67 linear metres (36 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Margaret, Edgware | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Edgware lay on the northern boundary of Middlesex, covering 2,089 acres before 1931. The old parish was bordered on the north by Elstree, on the west by Little Stanmore, and on the east by Hendon. At various times the parish has also included parts of Little Stanmore and Elstree. The church is first mentioned in the mid 13th century, when it was stated to be appropriated to the use of the Knights Hospitallers. From the 14th century the advowson belonged to the owner of the manor of Edgware Boys. The church of Saint Margaret is situated on Station Road near the junction with High Street. The earliest surviving parts of the building date to the 15th century and has been rebuilt several times during its history, in 1763, 1845 and 1908, with enlargements added in 1927.

The parish vestry, first mentioned in 1817, was concerned mainly with poor relief which took the form of allowance payments as there was no workhouse. Able-bodied poor were set to work in gravel pits or on road maintenance.

Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 151-166. Available online.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Margaret, Edgware, including registers of baptisms, confirmations, marriages and burials; register of services; Vestry meetings minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes and churchwardens' financial accounts.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series: Parish Records (DRO/011/001-037).

Conditions governing access:

Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in July 1965.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"