AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/006
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1570-1991
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.12 linear metres (108 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Hanwell | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Hanwell ran alongside the eastern bank of the Brent river. The northern, western and southern borders of the parish were formed by the Brent and Thames rivers, while the eastern border was composed of fields and commons. The parish was 1209 acres in size, with a further 74 acres of detached land to the north-west which belonged to the parish as it was owned by Hanwell Manor. New Brentford was part of Hanwell parish until the eighteenth century, but had a separate chapel. The original parish of Saint Mary was reduced in size between 1908 and 1951, when several new parishes were created: Saint Mellitus, Saint Mark, Saint Thomas and Saint Christopher. The patronage of the parish rested with the Abbot of Westminster, and later the Bishop of London.

The Vestry were responsible for a number of local administrative functions, although they shared poor relief with a local charity. There was no parish workhouse, rather, some small houses were available at low or no rent.

The church of Saint Mary is first mentioned in the 12th century, although it is probably older. The medieval church was demolished in 1781 as it was too small; while its replacement was demolished in 1841 for the same reason. The church was reopened in 1842.

Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962) (available online).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Hanwell, including registers of baptisms, confirmations, banns, marriages and burials; legal papers relating to property ownership; papers relating to the rebuilding of the church; financial accounts; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to church societies and committees including the St Mary's Youth Fellowship, the Reconstruction Committee, the St Mary League, and the Halls Committee; correspondence; papers relating to the war memorial; papers relating to charities including almshouses; papers relating to Hanwell National School. Some papers relate to Saint Mark, Hanwell, St Thomas, Hanwell and St Christopher, Hanwell.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series, Parish Records (DRO/006/001-DRO/006/108).

Conditions governing access:

Files DRO/006/1-15 and 75-108 are unfit or not available for consultation, please use microfilms. File DRO/006/23 is not fit for consultation.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited by the Rector, in 1961, 1988 and 1989.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"