AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P73/SAV
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1881-1975
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.28 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Saviour, Denmark Hill | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Saviour's church and vicarage was built and founded by Francis Peek (1836-1899) in memory of his parents William and Mary Peek. Building work on the church began in 1880 and the church was consecrated on February 22nd, 1881. The parish was extended in 1931 to include Dog Kennel Hill and part of Campion Hill. The original vicarage was badly damaged during the Second World War and later sold, with a house on Oglander street being purchased instead.

The original trustees of the church were members of the Peek family, later the trustees were the Southwark and Rochester Diocesan Trust. In 1959, at the suggestion of the remaining patrons (Rev Canon Roxby and Mr Daukes) the partonage was invested in the Southwark Diocesan Board of Patronage.

In 1978-1879 the building was extensively remodelled and converted into a community centre with a central worship area shared by the Anglicans and the Hanover United Reformed Church, which joined together in 1981 to create the Copleston Centre Church, a local ecumenical partnership. Plans for the re-modelling where designed by the architects Weekes and Hughes, with the re-modelling being done by Thomas Ford and Partners.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Saviour, Denmark Hill, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and confirmations; registers of church services; orders of service; correspondence relating to church personnel; plans and maps of the parish; terriers, deeds and correspondence relating to glebe lands; papers regarding the church building, including minutes regarding restoration work, faculties, plans, drawings, and correspondence; plans, drawings and photographs of the church house; correspondence relating to the vicarage; Vestry minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes; Finance Committee minutes; administrative files including correspondence, reports and electoral rolls; financial records; parish magazines; and photographs.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Listed in accordance with LMA Listing guidelines and classification scheme introduced October 2007. Arranged by sub-fonds then into series and (where appropriate) sub-series; thereafter files are listed in chronological order by creation date.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1955, with a further accession in 1983.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"