AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY, NORTHOLT: EALING ROAD, EALING

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/051
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY, NORTHOLT: EALING ROAD, EALING
Date(s): 1560-1995
Level of description: Collection
View subfonds/series records
Extent: 3.33 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Northolt | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Northolt church formed part of the endowment of the priory of Walden in Essex founded by Geoffrey de Mandeville about 1140. Walden exercised its rights until some time between 1241 and 1251 when the prior's claims were disputed by the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's Cathedral. It was agreed that a vicarage should be instituted and patronage vested in the Bishop of London and his successors. In 1864 patronage was transferred to Brasenose College, Oxford, which still holds the advowson. The church of Saint Mary dates in part from the early 14th century with early-16th-century additions. A south vestry was added in 1945. Rapid increases in population during the 1930s and extensive council development after 1945 led to the formation of three daughter churches between 1940 and 1960: the churches of Saint Joseph, Saint Hugh and Saint Richard.

From: 'Northolt: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 119-121. Available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Northolt, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage, confirmations and church services; papers relating to tithes and glebe lands; faculties relating to the maintenance of church buildings and fittings; Parochial Church Council minutes; records of the Overseers of the Poor including papers regarding the workhouse; historical notes; parish magazines and photographs.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series: Parish Records (DRO/051-1).

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records DRO/051/001-175 of St. Mary's Church, Northolt, deposited by the incumbent in the Greater London Record Office, The County Hall, London, SE1 7PB on 8 April 1982 and 20 August 1982.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See DRO/051/HUG and DRO/051/RIC for papers of the daughter churches of Saint Hugh and Saint Richard.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING