AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P73/CRY
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1865-1966
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.11 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Chrysostom, Peckham | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church was originally built in 1814 as a chapel of ease to Saint Giles, the main parish church, to serve the new estates being created in Peckham as the area started to expand. However, the parish was not actually created until 1865.

In 1960 the church became part of the united parish of Saint Chrysostom and Saint Jude (P73/JUD). However, its deteriorating condition meant that it had to be demolished in 1963. Between 1963-1966, marriages were solemnised at Saint Andrew with All Saints (P73/ALL1, P73/AND). In 1966, the parish name was changed to Saint John, Peckham upon completion of the building of the church complex on the corner of Meeting House Lane and Springall Street.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Chrysostom, Peckham, including registers of baptisms, marriages, confirmations, and church services; parish magazines; papers regarding the assignment of the consolidated chapelry; papers relating to the church building including plans; papers regarding finances; papers relating to parochial charities.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in August 1977, with a further accession in 1979.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"