AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/119
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1902-1993
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.38 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mellitus, Hanwell | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Mellitus was constructed in 1910, from the proceeds of the sale of Holy Trinity, Gough Square, London. A parish was formed in 1908 and included the chapel of Saint Mark, Lower Boston Road, as a chapel of ease. The patron is the Bishop of London. The building is in a Gothic style, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield and Sons. The 'History of the County of Middlesex' notes that "the dedication of the church is probably derived from the legend, propagated by Sir Montagu Sharpe, that Mellitus, Bishop of the East Saxons, was instrumental in the conversion of the Anglo-Saxons of Hanwell".

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 230-233.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mellitus, Hanwell, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage and church services; working papers of the incumbent; correspondence; Parochial Church Council minutes; financial records; papers relating to the Sunday School; parish magazines and photograph of the exterior of the church.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

DRO/119/001-011: Parish Registers; DRO/119/012-051: Other Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in March 1997.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"