AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

BRONDESBURY SYNAGOGUE

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/2712/BBS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: BRONDESBURY SYNAGOGUE
Date(s): 1905-2005
Level of description: Collection
View parent record
Extent: 4.12 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Brondesbury Synagogue

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

In the mid-19th century the Jewish population in north-west London was increasing. In 1900 the first meetings of Brondesbury Synagogue were held, and by 1905 the synagogue had been constructed in Chevening Road. Its catchment area was Cricklewood, Willesden, Willesden Green and Brondesbury.

In 1923 a new synagogue, the Willesden Green and Cricklewood Synagogue, was opened on Walm Lane to ease overcrowding in the Brondesbury Synagogue. It became a constituent synagogue of the United Synagogue in 1931 and changed its name to Cricklewood Synagogue. For the records of this synagogue, see ACC/2712/CKS.

In 1926 the Harlesden Hebrew Congregation and Talmud Torah began to meet. They acquired a site for a building in 1933 and became a District Synagogue of the United Synagogue with the name Willesden District Synagogue. A hall was constructed on College Road.

Meanwhile, another group had been formed in the area, this one with an affiliation to the Federation of Synagogues. They were known as the Willesden Green Federation Synagogue, and in 1934 opened a synagogue in a converted house in Heathfield Park. In 1937 it was decided to expand the Synagogue building and a site on nearby Brondesbury Park was purchased. Unfortunately the Synagogue ran into financial difficulties, just at the same time as the Willesden District Synagogue was finding its hall too small. In 1939 the two Synagogues agreed to merge and use the larger Brondesbury Park site. They were to be known as Willesden Synagogue.

An Ohel Shem Congregation was founded in the area in 1945. It was closed in 1988 and the members joined Willesden Synagogue.

In 1974 the Brondesbury Synagogue closed and its members were dispersed between the Cricklewood and Willesden Synagogues. Willesden Synagogue then changed its name to Willesden and Brondesbury Synagogue.

In the 2000s the Synagogue changed its name again, to Brondesbury Synagogue; and then in 2007 changed to Brondesbury Park Synagogue.

See "History of the Willesden and Brondesbury Synagogue, 1934-1994" for more information (a copy can be found in file ACC/2712/BBS/02/041).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Brondesbury Park Synagogue and its predecessor synagogues, including:
Brondesbury Synagogue (Chevening Road), 1904-1974;
Harlesden Hebrew Congregation / Willesden District Synagogue (College Road), 1933-1939;
Willesden Green Federation Synagogue (Heathfield Park / Brondesbury Park), 1934-1939;
Willesden Synagogue (Brondesbury Park), 1939-1974;
Willesden and Brondesbury Synagogue (Brondesbury Park),1974-2000;
Brondesbury Synagogue (Brondesbury Park), 2000-2007.
Please note the dates refer to the time the Synagogue had that name.

The records include registers of kethubot [marriage contracts]; membership contributions ledgers; membership lists; membership application forms; barmitzvah application forms; Board of Management minute books; Aid Committee minutes; elections for Synagogue officers; Burial Society papers; yahrzeit books; papers relating to high holydays; general correspondence; papers relating to the diamond jubilee of the Synagogue; booklet History of the Willesden and Brondesbury Synagogue, 1934-1994 by Rabbi Bernard Susser; historical research; financial records including account books; printed items such as orders of service, newsletters, tributes and event ephemera; exhibition boards prepared for a display; design for a committee room; drawing of the Chief Rabbi attending the Diamond Jubilee service; and certificates.

PLEASE NOTE: Records can only be accessed with the written permission of the depositor. Contact the Chief Executive, United Synagogue.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The original deposit has been catalogued as ACC/2712/BBS plus a running number. Additional deposits have been catalogued in 5 series: ACC/2712/BBS/01: Membership;
ACC/2712/BBS/02: Administration;
ACC/2712/BBS/03: Finance;
ACC/2712/BBS/04: Printed Material;
ACC/2712/BBS/05: Visual Material.

Conditions governing access:

Kethubot registers are closed to public inspection. Other material is available for consultation only with the written permission of the United Synagogue's Chief Executive.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited as part of a larger accession of material from the United Synagogue.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

For further information please consult the LMA Information Leaflet: "Records of the Anglo-Jewish Community at London Metropolitan Archives"; available to download here: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/Visitor_information/free_information_leaflets.htm (URL correct Feb 2010).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Description prepared in March 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING