AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT NICHOLAS, SHEPPERTON: CHURCH SQUARE, SHEPPERTON, SURREY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/086
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT NICHOLAS, SHEPPERTON: CHURCH SQUARE, SHEPPERTON, SURREY
Date(s): 1574-1921
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.83 linear metres (27 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Nicholas, Shepperton | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Nicholas at Shepperton is first mentioned in documents in 1157, when it was held by Westminster Abbey. In 1251 the advowson was transferred to the lord of the manor, who held it until around 1750. After this date the rectors seem to have presented themselves. In 1942 the advowson was transferred to the Bishop of London. The same church served the whole parish until 1949 when part of the parish was transferred to Littleton. The church was constructed in 1614, replacing an earlier building which had fallen into ruin.

Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 1-12.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Nicholas, Shepperton, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, and banns of marriage; preachers' books; Churchwardens' financial accounts; Vestry minutes and papers relating to parochial charities.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

DRO/086/001-016: Parish Registers; DRO/086/017-027: Other Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

Files DRO/086/001-016 are not available for consultation, please use microfilm.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited by the Incumbent, 28 February 1992.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING