AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT THOMAS, CLAPTON COMMON: HACKNEY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P79/TMS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT THOMAS, CLAPTON COMMON: HACKNEY
Date(s): 1820-1969
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.78 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Thomas, Clapton Common | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Thomas' Church, Stamford Hill, later known as Saint Thomas' Church, Clapton Common was originally called Stamford Hill Chapel and was a proprietary chapel built circa 1774 by Mr John Devall as a place of worship for his tenants. It was later bought by the Revd. George Richards who sold it in 1827 to Joshua Watson and three others to be a Chapel of Ease to the parish church of Hackney. The chapel was enlarged and a tower added and it was consecrated on 22 October 1827. A district was assigned to the chapel by an Order in Council of 28 February 1828, and it became a separate parish 29 July 1856. Extensive reconstruction was carried out in 1873. The body of the church was destroyed in the Second World War and rebuilt by N.F Cachemaille-Day. In 1972 Saint Thomas' became part of a group ministry with Saint Matthew, Upper Clapton and Saint Michael and All Angels, Stoke Newington Common.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St Thomas, Clapton Common, including registers of baptisms, marriages, confirmations, and banns; clerical licences; parish magazines; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; registers of church services; preachers' books; papers relating to the rebuilding of the church; financial records; papers relating to missions; and papers of the Upper Clapton National School.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited on 30 June 1986 and 26 March 1991.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING