AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CAMDEN CHURCH, CAMBERWELL: PECKHAM ROAD, SOUTHWARK

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P73/CAM
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CAMDEN CHURCH, CAMBERWELL: PECKHAM ROAD, SOUTHWARK
Date(s): 1870-1974
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.07 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Camden Church, Camberwell | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Camden Church was originally formed as Camden Chapel in 1796 by eighteen trustees of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, a religious group who had seceded from the parish church of Saint Giles. They each provided 100 to meet the cost of the chapel, which became a district church in 1844. It was badly damaged by bombing in October 1940 and August 1944 and was evetually demolished in 1956.

Camden Church School was established around 1840 from the Sunday school run by Camden Church. Following the demolition of the church building, responsibility for the school was undertaken by the parish of St Luke, Peckham.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Camden Church, Camberwell, including registers of baptisms and marriages; registers of services and preachers; correspondence of the incumbents; minutes of Committee of Management; administrative files including correspondence; financial records; papers relating to church buildings including faculties and citations; papers relating to parish boundaries; parish magazines; newspaper cuttings and booklets.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the Vicar of St Giles, Camberwell in the former London County Record Office, 22 May 1953. Further records deposited in the former London County Record Office, 4 May 1953, 9 August 1961 and 6 September 1961.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING