AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P70/SAV
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1865-1986
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.33 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Saviour, Battersea | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Saint Saviour, Battersea Park Road was created out of the old parish of Christ Church, Battersea Park Road. The foundation stone of the church was laid 4th January 1870 and the church was consecrated by the bishop of Winchester 19th October 1871. A district was assigned to Saint Saviour by Order in Council 13th February 1872. The vicarage house was built in 1880.

Three church halls were acquired by the parish at different stages in its history - Orkney Street Hall, Saint Saviour's Hall and Saint Saviour's Institute. Saint Saviour's Institute was sold in 1930 and the other two halls were sold in the 1980's when the church was converted to provide meeting rooms and a place of worship.

In 1880, the management of Christ Church, Battersea Park National School, built in 1866 within the parish of Christ Church, was transferred to Saint Saviour. The collection includes a few records of the school mainly relating to the transfer of management.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of parish of Saint Saviour, Battersea, including registers of baptisms, marriages and confirmations; preachers' books, service books and church service registers; papers relating to the appointment of clergy; photographs of clergy; correspondence and legal documents relating to parish boundaries and land owned by the parish; papers relating to the benefice; faculties, plans and correspondence relating to the maintenance of the church, vicarage and church halls; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; administrative correspondence; financial accounts; papers relating to organisations related to the church including parochial charities, the parish school, Sunday School, and societies; newspaper cuttings; parish magazines and historical notes.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in 15 sections: Parish Registers; Church Services/Work of Clergy; Church Personnel; Parish Boundaries; Benefice; Church Buildings; Churchwardens; Parish Administration; Parish Finance; Parish Organisations; and Printed Material.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited in the former London County Record Office, County Hall, London SE1 13 September 1960. Additional parish records deposited in the Greater London Record Office, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R 0HB, 13th February 1995.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"