AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P79/JN1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1545-1968
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 17.58 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John at Hackney | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The earliest building on the site dated to around 1275. From the fourteenth century onwards the church was dedicated to Saint Augustine, but was changed to Saint John after 1660. The present benefice, created in 1971, is called Hackney, the church remaining dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.

By the late 1770s it was clear from the growing population of the area that a new and larger church was necessary. The new church was consecrated on 15th July 1797 with a wooden box-like structure. The old church was demolished except for the tower, which was left intact to hold the bells. The church was subsequently rebuilt in Portland stone and a tower added in 1814.

The church suffered only light damage during World War II but was badly damaged by fire in 1955. Following extensive repairs it was re-consecrated in 1958. The old 16th century tower of St Augustine still stands to the south.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint John at Hackney (Saint John the Baptist church, Hackney) including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; Vestry minutes; papers regarding the construction of the church; financial records; papers relating to parochial charities; records of the Churchwardens; correspondence of the Vestry; papers relating to the parish school; legal documents; plans of the churchyard; register of church services; registers of graves; and preachers' book.

Records relating to civil functions of the parish including settlement examinations; minutes of the Workhouse Management Committee; highways rate books and church rate books.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records P79/JN1/1-16 were transferred from the records of the Boards of Guardians in October 1954. Records P79/JN1/17-467 were deposited by the rector in July 1955, July 1955 and December 1955. Record P79/JN1/468 was transferred from the records of the Boards of Guardians in June 1961. Records P79/JN1/469 - 471 were deposited in March 1969. Records P79/JN1/472-475 were transferred by the Archivist of Hackney Archives Department, in July 1985. Additional record P79/JN1/476 was found in the remains of Saint Bartholomew, Dalston and deposited in August 1974.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"