AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT JAMES, CLERKENWELL: CLERKENWELL GREEN, ISLINGTON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0449
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT JAMES, CLERKENWELL: CLERKENWELL GREEN, ISLINGTON
Date(s): 1596
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Church of England | St James Church, Clerkenwell

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Mary's Nunnery of Augustinian canonesses, founded in 1140, was dissolved in 1539 and the church converted to the parish church of Clerkenwell. In the 1780s the building was declared ruinous and demolished.

The present church was built 1788-92 by the architect James Carr, on the site of the choir of the mediaeval nunnery. It is regarded as one of the most respected Palladian architects of the period. It is built of stock brick and has a stone west tower. The steeple was rebuilt in 1849 by William Pettit Griffith and the Church was further restored 1883-84. In 1978 the church was redecorated and the organ restored to its 18th century design.

The church was described in 1906 as 'a very dingy-looking building of earth-brick with round-headed windows'. The former burial ground was opened as a public ground in 1897, while the crypt was converted into a hall in 1912.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Bond discharging the parish of Clerkenwell to provide for the maintenance and upbringing of a child, 1596. Also letter explaining how documents in the parish chest of Saint James Church, Clerkenwell, were being given away ca.1898 to make room when church was being repaired.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Two documents in chronological order.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Gifted to the Archive in February 1952.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For further records relating to Saint James Clerkenwell please see references O/527 (bonds relating to the building of the church) and P76/JS1 (parish registers).


Publication note:

For further information see: London's Churches (E & W. Young) LMA Library reference 59.1 YOU, History of Clerkenwell (Pinks) LMA Library reference 74.21 CLE, Clerkenwell and Saint Lukes (Mitton) LMA Library reference 74.2 MIT, and Clerkenwell and Finsbury Past (Tames) LMA Library reference 74.2 TAM.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING