AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/174
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1538-1961
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.63 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Church of England | St Mary the Virgin Church, Twickenham


Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Mary the Virgin is an ancient parish within Hampton Deanery, which is within the Kensington Area of the Diocese of London. The following parishes were cleaved from the ancient parish: Holy Trinity, Twickenham Common (1842); Saint Stephen, East Twickenham (1875); Twickenham, All Saints (1914) and Twickenham, All Hallows (1939). The parish of Saint Philip and Saint Paul, Whitton, was also created from Saint Mary's in 1862. Saint Augustine of Canterbury, Whitton, was created as a London Diocesan Home Mission church in 1935, within the parish of Saint Philip and Saint Paul, and became a separate parish in 1958.

The church of Saint Mary the Virgin was rebuilt in 1714-15 by John James, who was one of the surveyors to Queen Anne's Fifty New Churches project. Its structure is of red brick with Tuscan pilasters surmounted by a pediments. There is an early 16th century bell, three from the 17th century and four from the 18th century. The church was enlarged again in 1754. There are many original fittings including the gallery fronts and reredos and also monuments: a mediaeval monument brass of 1443 to Richard Burton, the King's chief cook. There is a monument to Alexander Pope and his parent (Pope and his mother are buried here).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Twickenham. This collection includes the parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials (1538 - 1960); Churchwardens' accounts (1605/6 - 1848); Vestry meeting minute books (1618 - 1901) and Overseers' of the Poor accounts (1663 - 1679). Of particular note are: the Book of Briefs (1708 - 1760), which also includes a list of bonds, surrender certificates and indentures (DRO/174/B/02/001) and the survey of land-holding or real estates in the parish, made in 1661, which appears in the Churchwardens' account book (DRO/174/B/01/003).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

DRO/174/A: Incumbent; DRO/174/B: Churchwardens; DRO/174/C: Vestry; DRO/174/D: Overseers of the Poor.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in March 2007.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For more records of the parish overseers of the poor see reference ACC/0535.

The following parish collections are held at the London Metropolitan Archives: Holy Trinity, Twickenham: The Green, Twickenham Common, Richmond upon Thames (ref DRO/150) and Saint Stephen, East Twickenham: Richmond Road, Richmond upon Thames (ref DRO/090).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"