AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT PAUL'S, MILL HILL: THE RIDGEWAY, BARNET

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0516
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT PAUL'S, MILL HILL: THE RIDGEWAY, BARNET
Date(s): 1767-1856
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.08 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Church of England: St Paul's Church, Mill Hill

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Mill Hill did not always have an Anglican church. Until the 1820s parishioners had to go to St Mary's Hendon to worship, some miles away, but in the 1820s it was clear that the district would require a chapel of ease. Local resident William Wilberforce, the anti-slavery campaigner, became the central benefactor in 1827. Saint Paul's was completed in 1830, and consecrated in 1833. It became a parish church in 1926.

Fysh Coppinger was a London merchant who married into the de Burgh family of West Drayton and took the surname of Burgh.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Mill Hill Chapel, Hendon, including article of agreement stating that Zachariah and James Bowden and William Wilberforce of Highwood Hill, Hendon agree to build chapel at Mill Hill, Hendon, 1829; declarations regarding the quality of the brickwork used in the chapel, 1830; statements of account, 1833; receipts and correspondence relating to the construction of the chapel, 1829-1831; statement of expenditure by William Wilberforce for the erection of stables and coach-house at the Three Crowns, Highwood Hill, Hendon, 1828; assignments of annuity relating to Fysh Coppinger, London merchant, 1767; petition of Sir John Gibbons and others to the Court of Chancery concerning deeds, books and papers relating to Stanwell Free School, 1820 and letters patent granted to Alexander Tolhausen of Adelphi, London, for a "Machine for Cutting Articles of Polygonal figure in wood or other material", 1856.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

In 4 sections: ACC/0516/001-011: Papers relating to the chapel; ACC/0516/012-013: Hendon papers, ACC/0516/014-016: Fysh Coppinger papers, and ACC/0516/017-019: Miscellanea.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Material received in 1954.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING